Record Details

NHER Number:3104
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Guist


This medieval parish church has a western tower with a Perpendicular style top. The south nave has panel traceried Perpendicular windows, but the rest of the church has been restored. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1889 and the chancel had already been rebuilt by 1881. The porch was built in 1907. No finds were recorded when a soakaway pit was dug in the churchyard.


  • St Andrew's Church, Guist, showing the Perpendicular style windows  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0002 2560
Map Sheet:TG02NW

Full description

St Andrew's Church.

May 1960. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar dressings. Plaintile roofs. Western tower; nave with north aisle and south porch; chancel. Un- buttressed tower, probably C16, with canted stair turret to south. Restored 2-light Y-traceried west window, quatrefoil sound holes, plain 2-light bell- openings with 4-centred heads and parapet. Nave with one 2-light and one 3-light panel traceried late Perpendicular windows with flat heads to south. North aisle of 1889 with 5 trefoil lancets. C13 plain chamfered south door with hood mould. Chancel of 1881 by H.Green of Norwich. Porch of 1907.' interior. Perpendicular tower arch with 3 plain chamfered orders on semi- circular responds. North arcade of 1889 in Early English style with columns and ovolo-moulded arches. Good C18 and C19 wall tablets in chancel to the Norris and Wigget families. 2 windows with Victorian stained glass.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.

26 February 1999. Observation of soakaway pit.
Newly dug 5m north of east end of nave 600m topsoil over chalky boulder clay, no finds. Many mole hills in most areas of churchyard revealed no finds.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 February 1999.

Unbuttressed west tower with Perpendicular top, the belfry windows under four centred heads. South nave with panel traceried Perpendicular windows, but the body of the church externally all renewed. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1889 and given five trefoiled lancets and a matching Early English arcade on drum piers; the chancel was already rebuilt in 1881 by H. J. Green. The porch is of 1907.
Information from (S2).
For further information see list description.
M. Dennis (NLA), 20 January 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306255.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 531.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service