Record Details

NHER Number:31035
Type of record:Monument
Name:Undated rectangular enclosure


A low ditched enclosure with an irregular northern boundary was surveyed. This is possibly related to the moat to the west (NHER 5148) but could be separate enclosure. Pieces of medieval pot were found here. The site is called 'Old Kennel' on the 1840s tithe map. The name may derive from 'coney' indicating rabbit keeping.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8383 9289
Map Sheet:TL89SW

Full description

East of moat (NHER 5148) is a lower, ditched enclosure with irregular northern boundary. East side has north to south bank, inside enclosure, with another ditch to west, which links at southern end to the outer ditch. Possibly related to moat, but could be separate enclosure. Bank is possible ditched causeway, but very degraded and truncated.
Two medieval unglazed body sherds.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA).
B. Cushion (NLA), February 1995.

1995. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000.
Area to the east with some features that are probably associated with the moat. Described as Tofts Kennel Covert in old documents.
See report (S1) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S2) and the survey is also noted in (S3).
B. Cushion (NLA), December 1995.

Suggestion from A. Rogerson (NLA) in (S1) that name Old Kennel may derive from 'coney' indicating rabbit keeping. Note however kennel was also an old term for a drain.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 January 1996.

September 2002. DEFRA site visit.
See (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 11 February 2002.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
  • CAUSEWAY (Unknown date)
  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
  • RABBIT WARREN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. TL 8393A.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. Lynford (West Tofts) SMR 5148, 5149 & 31035. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S2>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 83.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 403.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Hooke, D. (DEFRA). 2002. DEFRA site visit report and photographs.

Related records

5148Related to: Site of Caston Hall (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service