Record Details

NHER Number:3085
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval moated enclosure at Lyng Hall


This moated site includes an outer enclosure and possible fishponds. It is thought to have been the manor of John de Sane, and is first referred to as Lyng Hall in 1359. A site visit in 1993 recorded that the moated enclosure was still excellently preserved, with a bank 2-2.5m high along the east side.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0118 2889
Map Sheet:TG02NW

Full description

Moated site in Lynghall Wood.

April 1933.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) visited site and corrected (S1), hampered by vegetation.

Corrected plan by Ordance Survey in file, shows outer enclosure and possible fishponds.
(S2) refers to it as Manor of John de Sane, first called Lyng Hall in 1359. Founded in the time of Henry III.
Ordnance Survey states excellently preserved in 1973.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 March 1981.

Details and plan in file.

April 1993. Site visit.
Still excellently preserved with bank 2-2.5m high along east side. Wood marked on (S4) but not on (S5) which shows site as green edge.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 May 1993.

January 2000. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1250.
See report (S6) for further details. This site was included in (S7) and the survey is also noted in (S8).
B. Cushion (NLA), 16 February 2000.

Monument Types

  • FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VIII. 548. p 312.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 0129/ A, B.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 02 NW 6 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wood Norton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown. p 312.
<S3>Archive: National Archaeological Record.
<S4>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S5>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S6>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 2000. Wood Norton: Lyng Hall manorial earthworks. SMR 3085. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S7>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 130.
<S8>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 727.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service