Record Details

NHER Number:30840
Type of record:Building
Name:Mill Farm, Great Fransham


A late 16th or early 17th century timber framed house, now encased in brick. The house originally had a screens passage, with two service doors leading from the hall. The upper floor of the hall is original, and the hall has a large 17th century fireplace. Medieval and post medieval pottery has been found during field walking.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8982 1347
Map Sheet:TF81SE

Full description

Timber framed building of screen passage plan with original upper floor; probably originally with a clay firehood, a brick stack being inserted in the 17th century.
Date of original work probably late 16th century.
Much of frame replaced in brick, and other alterations made, at various periods about 1700 to about 1800.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 8 September 1994.

April 1995.
Stripping of building shows that south end is indeed timber framed on a screens passage plan, but other beams to the north have been reset in 19th century brick and clay lump, perhaps not in original position. Stack has a magnificent 17th century fireplace, but its relationship to the original building, whether contemporary or an insertion, cannot now be worked out. Suggestion of tomb slabs reused in the building.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 3 May 1995.

1 April 1995. Fieldwalking.
Medieval and post medieval sherds to west and northwest of house in bare soil after levelling.
See (S3).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 20 February 1996.

November 2008. Building Survey
Survey of agricultural building.
West gable wall is constructed of red bricks with horizontal skintlings laid in Flemmish bond. There is a low flint plinth with brick quoins at each end which stops 300mm short of the north west corner of the building. The west gable also has two registers of pigeon or dove holes, and the edge of the ridge roof is inscribed MB TF 1986. The north wall has a plinth approximately 1m high, and there is also evidence that the west end had at some point been tarred to ful height. The east gable wall has a large hole knocked in its base. The present roof is kingpost- truss, and is probably of 1986 date.
See report (S4) for further details.
H. White (NLA), 20 April 2009.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HVT 11-16.
---*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G110. AJGR.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1066557.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF1984.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1995. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile.
<S4>Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2008. Report on an Historic Building Recording at Mill Farm, Beeston Lane, Great Fransham, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB144R.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service