|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds from garden of 71 Church Road|
Neolithic and Bronze Age flint implements, fragments of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery and post medieval clay pipes found in a garden.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6228 0507|
|Parish:||WIMBOTSHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
2 Thetford type ware sherds.
2 medieval sherds.
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM).
7 sherds Grimston ware - brown stripe of slip over applied clay and green glaze.
3 sherds post medieval 17th to 18th century orange glaze.
1 sherd post medieval stoneware.
3 sherds late 18th/19th century.
L. Brewster (KLM) 15 August 1994.
Items seen at house by E. Rose (NLA) January 1995, also a number of flints, all natural except perhaps two flakes and one retouched piece. Finds may be given to village school when owners move away.
Identification of flints confirmed by P. Robins (NCM), possibly Neolithic/Bronze Age.
1995. Further finds.
Medieval pottery sherds.
1 shelly, 2 unglazed undetermined, 5 Grimston Green Glazed, 1 soft Grimston/Thetford type ware about 12th century handle of jug.
Post medieval pottery sherds.
3 iron wash earthenware, 1 red bodied clear glaze, 17th/18th century.
3 cream slipware with blue/brown stripes.
10+ clay pipe fragments, mainly 17th century.
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM) and L. Brewster (KLM).
L. Brewster (KLM) 6 June 1995.
Late 1995. Further finds of medieval/Post medieval sherds.
See list in file.
Information from L. Brewster (KLM).
E. Rose (NLA) 21 December 1995.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...