Record Details

NHER Number:30280
Type of record:Building
Name:Croxton Farm, Fulmodeston


This flint and brick farmhouse is thought to date to around 1600. Part of the original brick surrounds for the windows remain, although the windows themselves are 19th century. The north gable has blocked fire windows. Inside there is a reset late medieval / early post medieval fireplace. This has been interpreted as possible evidence that the present house is a wing added to an older mansion which has since been demolished.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9839 3111
Map Sheet:TF93SE

Full description

(S1) dates to around 1600, flint with brick dressings and plinth. Irregular 19th century fenestration to east has brick surrounds remaining in part of earlier windows and door. North gable has blocked fire windows and is described as bearing one octagonal stack and one with diamond profiles on the same base. Towards south end, three clustered octagonal stacks on one base behind ridge to west side. Rear wing, rebuilt, original at ground floor level. Ground floor north and first floor north and south rooms with chamfered spine and cross beams with 'quirk and tongue' stops. Seen only briefly in passing by E. Rose (NLA) 30 January 1994, but north stack seemed to have group of three shafts rather than two, and there were several pairs of blocked 'fire windows'. Position of south stack very interesting.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 January 1994.

(S1) is in fact correct about the north stack but a detailed examination of the building, whilst confirming the date of around 1600, revealed that the south end contains a complete medieval stone fireplace reset in the later stack, and has evidence that the present house is a wing added to an older mansion since demolished. Present house altered in 1750s, 19th century and 1953.
(S2) in file.
(S3) in file comes to different conclusions.
See (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 10 January 2006.

Re-examination of the house by S. Heywood suggests that 1600 is too early, and the house is probably mid-17th century (based on the dating of bar and tongue chamfer stops). The farmhouse was built in the mid 17th century, incorporating the gable end wall of a previous building to the south of the house. The present external elevation of this wall has an incomplete arched fireplace of Portland (or similar) stone, probabyl mid 16th century in date. It is clearly reused, and heated the demolished end bay of the former house. The stack is incorporated in the gable end, and emerges from the west slope of the roof. This stack was originally attached to the outside wall of the demolished structure, suggesting that it was an addition to an existing building, and is probably associated with the reused stone chimney piece. The building was radically repaired in the 18th century, probably in association with its purchase by the Holkham Estate.
See (S4).
K. Hamilton (NLA), 22 September 2008.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 447.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152826.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. and M.. 2005. Croxton Farm, Croxton, Fulmodeston, Norfolk..
<S4>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2006. Croxton Farm, Fulmodeston CP. September.
<S5>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 2007. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2006. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt II pp 261-273. p 264.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service