Record Details

NHER Number:3015
Type of record:Building
Name:Elsing Mill


A mill was first built on this site in 1768, and replaced in 1809 by a brick and timber framed paper mill. By 1834 it was converted to a corn and seed mill, and it was further converted to electricity in about 1930. At some time between 1984 and 1991 the mill was converted into a house.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0498 1768
Map Sheet:TG01NW

Full description

1768. Documentary Evidence.
An advertisement in the Norwich Mercury describes the mill as entirely new built in 1768 and 'one of the best Corn Makers in the County', consisting of two chambers, a stage, and a new dwelling house.
Information from (S1), in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 2003.

1797. Documentary Evidence.
A watermill is marked at this location on Faden's Map (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 June 1984.

1976. Research.
Discussion of early paper-making in Norfolk indicates that a papermill was founded here in 1809, presumably having previously ground corn.
Information from (S4).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 June 1984.

P. Lambley (NCM) reports that the mill ceased production not long ago and all machinery remains intact.
However it is not listed in (S3)
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1984.

August 1991. Listed, Grade II.
Described as built 1809 on an earlier site, converted to corn and seed crushing in 1834, further converted to electricity in about 1930, and later became a hammer mill. The building was converted to a house and the machinery removed sometime after 1984 and pre 1991. It is brick and timber frame, three storeys and an attic, with L shaped plan end stacks and a wheelhouse to east. The building has a four-bay north front with central doors on the ground and first floor, a rojecting boarded hoist, internal beams on hanging knee braces, and an intact east iron undershot wheel with wooden shaft and floats. All machinery has been removed except for the sluice gates and gearing in the rear wing and a treble wheel in the wheel-house.
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 18 October 1991.

15 October 1993. NLA air photography.
Good clear photographs of the mill and the River Wensum. (The river is very high, flooding some fields nearby).
Information from (S5).
H. Clare (NLA), 16 February 2001.

June 2008.
Proposed internal alterations to kitchen and enlargement of one window at the rear of the property.
See (S7) for further information.
H.White (NLA) 25 November 2008

Monument Types

  • CORN MILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1768 AD to 1809 AD)
  • WATERMILL (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1768 AD to 1930 AD)
  • PAPER MILL (19th Century - 1809 AD to 1834 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (19th Century to 21st Century - 1809 AD to 2100 AD)
  • CORN MILL (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1834 AD to 1980 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1985 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Designation: Listed Building Consent.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 332.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF2267.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1768. [Transcribed sale advertisement for Elsing Mill]. 27 February.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077361.
<S4>Article in Serial: Stoker, D. 1976. The Early History of Paper-making in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 241-252. p 251.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: TG0517 P-U,V-AB; TG0417 C-E.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984-1999. [Photographs of Elsing Mill].
<S7>Unpublished Document: M Baily. 2008. Design and Access Statement, Elsing Mill, Dereham.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service