Record Details

NHER Number:29527
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval lime kiln in Devil's Plantation


The remains of a post medieval limekiln and associated structures have been recorded within Devil's Plantation.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0930 4216
Map Sheet:TG04SE

Full description

Lime kiln.
Notified to B. Cushion (NLA) during NLA/RHCM earthwork survey by farm manager.
Corridor entered by pointed arch brick doorway, in good condition as is most brickwork. Lime shoot has damaged exit. Bell is evident as depression in soil.
B. Cushion (NLA), February 1993.

March 2004, Norfolk NMP
(Central grid reference altered from TG 0929 4215 to TG 0930 4126)
The remains of the post medieval lime kiln and associated structures, possibly a limehouse, within Devil’s Plantation Kelling are visible on aerial photographs from 1946 (S1). A rectangular structure, centred on TG 0931 4216, is visible measuring 12m by 8m. It possibly has a low raised curved roof, although the aerial photographs are not clear enough to get any definite sense of the height and structure. To the west of this are two further possible rectangular structures, the largest being 4m by 2.25m. Next to these to west is a C-shaped section of narrow wall, 7m long. This appears to surround a hollowed area to the east, approximately 5.5m across. As stated above the clarity of these aerial photographs is not sufficient to describe them further. It is possible that at least some of them relate to the structures recorded on the ground by Brian Cushion, see above. Unfortunately on later photographs most of the structures appears to be obscured by woodland.
S. Massey (NMP) 08 March 2004

The site is not marked on the 1928 O.S. maps or later (S1)
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold (HES) 13/12/2010

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1907 AD?)
  • LIMEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK 3169-70 07-JUN-1946 (Norfolk SMR TG 0942A-B).
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. Ordnance Survey Map. 25 inch to the mile. Second Edition. 1:2500.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service