Record Details

NHER Number:2888
Type of record:Building
Name:Quebec Hall


Quebec Hall was built soon after 1759. It was originally cross shaped with chamfered corners. Only one part of this original building remains; the rest of the building was squared up not long afterwards and in early 19th century a 'Gothic' porch tower was added on the west and a castellated red brick extension and terrace were built on the south. The older parts of the house were plastered. The Hall is now an old people's home.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9860 1457
Map Sheet:TF91SE

Full description

Quebec Hall.

July 1978. Visit.
Built soon after 1759 (hence the name). Originally cruciform with corners chamfered (see print in (S1)), but only one part of this remains, on the north side of the east wing. The building was 'squared up' not long afterwards, and in the early 19th century a 'Gothic' porch tower (but with sash windows) on the west and a castellated extension and terrace on the south were added in red brick (the older parts being plastered); all windows were given hoodmoulds. The building is now an old people's home, and is in excellent condition. Note that the North Lodge at TF 9838 1473, though of no architectural interest, is built of carstone which is remarkable for this area of Norfolk.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 July 1978.

The house was built by Samuel Rash of Shipdham and said to have been named in honour of his patron, Lord Townsend. The local legend that the trees in the park mirror the disposition of troops at the Battle of Quebec is almost certainly untrue (see NHER 33468), and occurs in many places in England. The later reconstruction was by Lee-Warner.
It was originally called Quebec Castle. Armstrong in his diary for 16 October 1876 states that the building began as a public house but this may be a misunderstanding of the fact that Rash owned the brewery that gave its name to Rash's Green. Stripping of external plaster from some areas in 1997 indicates that some of the plastered sections are part of Lee-Warner's additions.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 September 1997.

However it would seem Armstrong was correct for (S2) reproduces an advertisement in the Norwich Mercury for 14 June 1766 referring to Quebec Castle, a newly erected inn at Dereham with a prospect of 20 miles including thirty church towers and mansions, also the spire of Norwich Cathedral! The owner at this time was called Alexander Kennedy. It is known Rash leased out the property. But was there some sort of gazebo to make such a view possible?
For further information on the park see NHER 33468.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 September 2000.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1759 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • NURSING HOME (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1978 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Washerwoman and her knight. 15 August.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TF9814/Q - R.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Oak trees on homes site mark Battle of Quebec say protesters. 21 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Hall's setting 'could be hit by building'. 31 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Mellow exposure. 26 July.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 295.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service