Record Details

NHER Number:2887
Type of record:Building
Name:Dillington Hall, East Dereham

Summary

This red brick Georgian house has five bays and three storeys. The central bays project slightly and contain a Classical doorcase. The house is H shaped. It was built in 1795 by Daniels of Lexham. The extensive farm buildings have now been converted into houses.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9760 1466
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1978. Visit.
Red brick Georgian, five bays three storeys, centre bays slightly projecting, with Classical doorcase. H shaped house, end on to road. Built 1795 by Daniels of Lexham. Very good condition. Extensive farm buildings.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 July 1978.

13 February 1989. Visit.
Condition deteriorated. Severe slumping between windows of end bays.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 February 1989.

September 2000. Visit.
Planning application to repair slumpage in 1999. By September 2000 this had not been done but creeper removed from facade revealed basement storey, windows now infilled. Farm buildings converted to housing.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 September 2000.

Monument Types

  • FARMYARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9714 A,B; TF9717 A-B.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Sale advertisements for Dillington Hall, East Dereham].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: 1998. Schedule of Works Dillington Hall - East Dereham, Norfolk.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 295.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service