|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of Early Saxon settlement|
Fieldwalking recovered pieces of Early Saxon, Middle Saxon, Roman and medieval pottery, medieval tile and prehistoric worked flints. This may be the site of an Early Saxon settlement.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1391 3142|
|Parish:||ITTERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Early 1991. Found in fieldwalking. Finder's field M26
Early Saxon, Middle Saxon, Roman pottery.
Medieval sherds and tile.
See lists and (S1) in file for full details.
Information from .
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA).
E. Rose (NLA), October 1991.
(S2) describes as a definite discovery of Early Saxon activity. This might be regarded as a forerunner of settlement at Mannington.
M. Dennis (NLA), 12 April 2006.
- SETTLEMENT? (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBM 3, Romano British pin.. |
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBM 10-12, Late Saxon box mount.. |
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBM 27-29, Medieval ring.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Davison, A. 1995. The Field Archaeology of the Mannington and Wolterton Estates. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt II pp 160-184. |
Related records - none
Find out more...