Record Details

NHER Number:2833
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Hoe


This parish church dates to the medieval period but has later additions and alterations. The lower section of the tower is medieval and includes possible 11th or early 12th century elements. There are features of a similar date in the west wall. Most of the rest of the building is post medieval. All of the nave except the west wall was rebuilt in 1794 and the chancel was entirely rebuilt in 1820. The upper section of the tower had been removed by 1740, rebuilt by 1823 and removed by 1902. In 1999 the excavation of drainage trenches revealed walls from the medieval aisles and porches, a medieval stone coffin slab and medieval tile.


  • St Andrew's Church, Hoe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 9975 1642
Map Sheet:TF91NE

Full description

1978. Field Observation.
There are possible remnants of Late Saxon work in the west wall and the tower base. Elements of note include a decorated tower arch, perpendicular fragments likely associated with bequests in the early 16th century, and a fine 15th century font. The aisles were removed and the north porch was moved at an unknown date. All of the nave except the west wall was rebuilt in 1794 reusing old materials. The chancel was rebuilt in 1820 and the porch in 1833. The top of the tower had been demolished by 1740, was rebuilt by 1823 and removed again by 1902.
E. Rose (NLA).

1970s or 1980s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S1), which includes (S2).
T. E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.

1999. Excavations.
Excavations for drains revealed the outlines of the original aisles and porches as well as a stone coffin slab and medieval tile.
A stair shaft was discovered in the west nave wall during removal of ivy. This may have been inserted in the 15th century to serve as a 'ringer' gallery halfway up the tower arch.
See report (S3) and notes (S11) in secondary file.
See also (S12).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 April 1999.

March 2006.
Faden's map of 1797 (S4) shows the church to the south of a road, with Hoe Hall (NHER 2832) to the north of the road. Between 1814 and 1847 the route of the road was moved to the south of the church.
Information from (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 15 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOLLOW WAY (Unknown date)
  • TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Ladbrooke: AR25-26.
---Aerial Photograph: TF9916K, L,.
---Photograph: JJX 18-32 35-6.
---Photograph: JJY 15-28.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 108-112.
---Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KJX 23-28.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 411.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1999. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S5>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S6>Publication: Church Tours Committee. 1983. St Andrew's Church, Hoe.
<S7>Correspondence: Correspondence regarding St Andrew's Church, Hoe.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Church is facing finance hurdle. 3 June.
<S9>Monograph: Cooper, T.. 2001. The journal of William Dowsing: iconoclasm in East Anglia during the English Civil War..
<S10>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S11>Unpublished Document: Burrows, G.G.. Hoe. St Andrew's Church..
<S12>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 527.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service