Record Details

NHER Number:2832
Type of record:Monument
Name:Hoe Hall and medieval moat


This post medieval great house sits on the site of a medieval moat. The western pile is built of red brick and dates to the late 16th or 17th century. The eastern pile is early 19th century and is constructed from red and white bricks. The two sections share a double ridged roof. Associated are a late 18th century brick barn and a walled garden. 19th century maps and aerial photographs show a section of possible moat within the walled garden. However, this had been destroyed by a swimming pool by 1970.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9974 1650
Map Sheet:TF91NE

Full description

November 1978. Field Observation.
Hoe Hall consists of two parallel piles connected by a double-ridged roof. The eastern pile is of white brick. The east façade has a projecting central bay bearing Tuscan a columned porch as well as corner pilasters. There are also pilasters at the rear corners (north gable wall is of red brick but pilasters are still white). This pile was constructed in the early 19th century. The rear (western) parallel block has a west façade of red brick with a Georgian doorcase, but its north gable is of flint with blocked small windows in brick. It supports three octagonal chimneys and can be dated to the late 16th century. West of the house there is a fine red brick Georgian barn with blocked lunettes in the west gable and two cart-porches to south containing small brick niches. North of this is a walled garden of the same date. The feature within the garden which looks like a moat on the Ordnance Survey map (S3) is now an L-shaped swimming pool.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 November 1978.

(S1) 1984 prefers 17th century date for material above dated late 16th century; says 19th century block is dated 1845 by graffiti on northeast corner.
Interior has early 18th century dogleg stair in 1845 block and good plasterwork.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 November 1985.

Barn also listed grade II.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

However source [1] states that enclosure map (S2) shows a moated site immediately north of the house with east arm missing. Possibly the swimming pool was constructed out of the remains of this.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 December 1995.

March 2006.
The enclosure map (S2) shows a three sided moat (with northern, western and southern arms) roughly where the swimming pool is now. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S3) shows an L shaped moat in the same loction; the northern and western arms of the enclosure map moat are shown, but the southern arm is not. The tithe map (S4) shows the area of the garden as woodland.
D. Robertson (NLA), 15 March 2006.

November 2007. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks of a former moat of probable medieval date are visible on aerial photographs (S5). A water-filled L-shaped earthwork feature is visible within the walled garden to the north of Hoe Hall. The ditch is up to 7.5m wide and extends for 32m by 23m. It is likely that this ditch formed part of a medieval moat. The Hoe enclosure map of 1814 (S2) shows a C-shaped moat with an open east side at this location. The earthworks visible on the aerial photographs relate to the north and west sides of the moat. By the time of the first edition 25 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map of 1883 (S3), these were the only elements surviving, with the southern arm having been removed. By 1970 ((S6)-(S7)) the earthworks had been filled in and a swimming pool constructed along the line of the northern arm of the moat.
J. Albone (NMP), 19 November 2007.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1066 AD to 1970 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF 9916AL, AN - AR.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 411.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hoe.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Map: Corby, R.. 1811 to 1814. Scarning, Hoe, Worthing and Dillington enclosure award, with maps surveyed by Robert Corby of Kirstead.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey first edition 25 inch (1880's ?) map. OS.
<S4>Map: 1847. Hoe tithe map.
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/100 5238-9 30-MAR-1946 (NHER TF 9916A / TF 9916C).
<S6>Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1970. NHER TF 9916AZ (CUCAP BAT48) 09-FEB-1970.
<S7>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1972. OS/72160 51 03-JUN-1972.

Related records

44026Parent of: Possible landscape park associated with Hoe Hall (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service