|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Anchor Brewery, Coslany Square|
This former brewery was converted to housing in 1983-84. The yellow brick range in Coslany Street has a reconstructed early 19th century Doric shop front and has a date plaque reading 1773. To the right is a taller building of red brick with yellow details and a slate roof. The rounded corner to Westwick Street flanks a nine window range and at the rear is the Vat House. All these structures are listed as Anchor House. The former chimney base was demolished in 1983 and was the last industrial chimney of value in Norwich.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2278 0882|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former Anchor Brewery, built chiefly in the 1860s.
June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Former Anchor Brewery, now offices and maisonettes. Early 19th century. In 3 parts:
Left range: Yellow brick, pantiled roof (renewed), two brick ridge chimneys (rebuilt). Three storeys; six first-floor windows. Early 19th-century style shop-front (rebuilt) to right has double half-glazed doors flanked by shop windows with glazing bars and four fluted Doric half-columns under triglyph frieze with dentilled cornice. 1980s flattened arch to left. Windows have sashes with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches. Box cornice. Date-stone on left wall: B/TJ/1773.
Two-storey range adjoining to right has three round-headed ground floor windows with keyblocks and three sashes in weather-boarded first floor (rebuilt).
Later 19th century right range (1868): Red brick with yellow brick details; hipped slate two-span roof. Four storeys; seven-window range with three bays defined by pilasters. First and second-floor windows have round-headed casements with glazing bars and cambered brick arches on the ground and third floors. Dentilled third-floor string course and moulded eaves cornice. Rounded corner to Westwick Street frontage flanks a nine-window range in similar style. Carriage arch to left with three windows above joins the left range.
Former Vat House to rear: Painted brick, slate roof. Now two storeys; four window range. Façade has central segmental headed door flanked by pairs of round-headed windows with glazing bar casements. Dentilled string course under continuous casement lights. Louvred roof ventilator. Interior: Left part entirely re-modelled; right part has barrel- vaulted ground floor with rows of cast iron columns; and the Vat House retains its original industrial A-frame roof. Remodelled 1983-4 copying original features where replaced.
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 March 2021.
Former brewery converted to housing 1983-4.
In Coslany Street, yellow brick range of three storeys, with reconstructed early 19th century Doric shop front. Listed building description dates this to early 19th century despite mentioning a date plaque B/TJ/1773. To right, taller four storey building of red brick with yellow details and slate roof. Seven window range with three bays defined by pilasters; first and second floor windows have rounded heads with metal glazing bars, ground and third floor have cambered brick arches. Rounded corner to Westwick Street flanks similar nine window range. Carriage arch to left. Ground floor barrel vaulted on cast iron columns. At rear, Vat House, now two storeys, central rounded door flanked by rounded windows; roof louvre on original A-frame. These all listed as Anchor House; to north-east, 6 Coslany Square is listed separately as former counting house, brick L-plan on two storeys (See NHER 48272).
Not listed was former base of chimney, demolished 1983, last industrial chimney of value in Norwich; plaque in bold relief 2m high showing anchor and name BULLARDS, now reset on wall to south.
See Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society fiche survey.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 August 1998.
- (Former Type) BREWERY (18th Century to Late 20th Century - 1773 AD to 1984 AD)
- HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1984 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 265. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 328. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1206526. |
|48272||Parent of: 6, Coslany Square (Building)|
|Mon 1375||Parent of: Area of Anchor Quay (Monument)|
|Mon 697||Parent of: Junction of Westwick Street/ Coslany Street (Monument)|
|Site 1090||Parent of: Westwick Street / Coslany Street Junction (Monument)|
|Mon 1067||Part of: Coslany Street / Oak Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1171||Part of: Lower Westwick Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1389||Part of: Westwick Street (North side from Coslany Street to Charing Cross) (Monument)|
Find out more...