Record Details

NHER Number:26427
Type of record:Building
Name:Weavers House

Summary

Weavers House is a former factory, built in the 17th century and altered in the 18th and 20th century. Constructed of red brick with a pantile roof, this three-storey building retains a long 22-light frieze window on the second floor and was probably used for weaving.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2362 0841
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Weavers House.
Weavers House is a 17th-century, three-storey, red brick industrial building. The former factory was altered in the 18th and 20th century but retains a long 22-light frieze window on the second floor (S1). The frieze window indicates that it was likely used for weaving (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 2 November 1994. Updated H. Hamilton (HES), 03 May 2017.
The location of this building has been updated from TG 23630 08460 to TG 23622 08416.
H. Hamilton (HES), 03 May 2017.

June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Building fronting Mountergate and east of St Faith's House
Formerly listed as building belonging to A E Coe & Sons.
Former factory, empty at the time of re-survey. 17th with 18th century and 20th century alterations and extension. Red brick and pantile roof. Three storeys."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Beers (HES), 27 March 2020.

Monument Types

  • FACTORY (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • SPINNING MILL (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372447.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Plan to restore weaving 'factory'. 2 November.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service