Record Details

NHER Number:26370
Type of record:Building
Name:4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2 to 4 Elm Hill).

Summary

A 17th century corner site house, now shops and houses, with later alterations. It is three storeys high with a cellar. The front walls are timber framed above flint rubble, the rear walls primarily brick. The interiors date from the 18th century onwards, when the building was subdivided. The tie-irons on the rear wall of the Elm Hill wing are dated 1619.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23181 08787
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Early 17th century two storeyed plus attic corner site building.
Earlier structure provides foundation for some walls.
Front walls timber framed above flint rubble. Rear walls primarily brick.
Princes Street wing had pedimented windows.
Interior 18th century and 19th century when subdivison occurred.
Tie-irons on rear wall of Elm Hill wing have initials RMM (Richard Mann) and date 1619. See (S1).
R. Smith.

February 1954. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Corner property including Nos. 2 and 4 Elm Hill (q.v.). Houses, now shop and houses. 17th century with later alterations. Part-rendered plinth; painted brick on ground floor; first floor rusticated; rendered and rusticated gables. Pan-tile roof. 3 storeys and cellar, with first-floor jetty."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S2) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Beers (HES), 26 March 2020.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 294-295.
<S1>Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. p 427.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051909.

Related records

Site 2396Parent of: 2 Elm Hill (Monument)
Site 705Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)
Site 2239Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)
Mon 488Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)
Mon 1151Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (With 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)
Site 2610Parent of: 4-6 Princes Street (includes 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)
Mon 6Parent of: Blackfriars Friary (Monument)
Mon 71Parent of: Green Yard (Blackfriars) (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service