Record Details

NHER Number:26173
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Stephen's Gate


This medieval gate used to stand at the junction of St Stephen's Street, Stephen's Road, Chapelfield Road and Queen's Road. It was also known as Needham Gate, Nedham and Nedeham Gate. The gate was demolished in 1793 but excavations here in 1964 revealed the foundations.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 22819 08030
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Junction of St Stephen's Street, Stephen's Road, Chapelfield Road and Queen's Road.
Also known as 'Needham Gate, Nedham, Nedeham Gate'.

1285. Grant of land 'at the gate of Nedham' see (S1).
1793. Demolished.
1964. While excavating for su
bway at junction of St Stephen's, Queen's Road and Chapelfield, foundations of St Stephen's Gate were revealed.

Monument Types

  • GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 100.18 [2].
<S1>Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 11-14.

Related records

Site 856Parent of: Queens Road (Monument)
Site 511Parent of: St Stephen's Gate (Monument)
Mon 329Parent of: St Stephen's Gate (Monument)
384Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)
Mon 1099Part of: St Stephen's Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service