Record Details

NHER Number:26172
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval defences, St Martin's Gate


The site of Coslany Gate on the junction of Oak Street and Bakers Road, part of the city's medieval defences. It was rebuilt in 1760, but then demolished in the 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2260 0952
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Junction of Oak Street and Bakers Road.
Formerly 'Coslany Gate',' Porte de Coslayn' (1275).
1760. Rebuilt.
1808. Demolished.
1858. Bastion on the side next the river pulled down. (S1).
E. B. Green (NCM).

Monument Types

  • GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 100.25.
<S1>Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 23-24.

Related records

Mon 1067Parent of: Coslany Street / Oak Street (Monument)
384Parent of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)
Site 1734Parent of: St Martin`s Gate, Oak Street (Monument)
Mon 328Parent of: St Martin's Gate (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service