Record Details

NHER Number:26171
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Giles Gate, Newport Gate


This medieval gate stood at the junction of St Giles Street, Chapelfield Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Grapes Hill. It was also known as Newport Gate. Sadly, it was demolished in 1792 but in 1970 part of the stone gate socket was identified on the wall at this point.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 22433 08575
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Junction of St Giles Street, Chapelfield Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Grapes Hill.
Also known as 'Port.S.Egidii' and Newport Gate.
Gate was demolished in 1792.
E. B. Green (NCM).

Before 1930.
A fragment of carved architectural stone said to have been part of the gate was recovered from the Plantation Garden, Earlham Road. This fragment is recorded under NHER 64158.
Information from newspaper article (S2).
A. Beckham (HES), 20 January 2021.

Stone found built into/onto city wall at about 0.9-1.2m (3ft/4ft) from surface of road.
Suggested as gate socket.
Held by NCM.

Monument Types

  • GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Website: Norwich City Council. [Unknown]. Norwich City Walls Survey 1999-2002. 20 January 2021. 20 St Giles Gate.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 100.1.
<S1>Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 15-16.
<S2>Newspaper Article: [Unknown]. [Unknown]. "Sprite's" Article. City Chalk Caves. [Unknown].

Related records

64158Parent of: Medieval carved architectural stone fragment (Find Spot)
Mon 327Parent of: St Giles Gate (Monument)
Mon 1480Part of: Bethel Street, Over Newport (Monument)
Mon 1415Part of: City Walls - Between St Benedict's and St Giles's Gates (Monument)
384Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service