Record Details

NHER Number:26126
Type of record:Building
Name:City Flour Mills or Albion Mill, King Street

Summary

This building is a former yarn and flour mill. It was built between 1836 and 1837 in red brick, and has a 20th century Mansard roof. It has now been converted for residential use.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23804 07789
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Former yarn mill now flour mill. 1836 to 1837. Red brick with 20th century Mansard roof. Long block at right angles to street. Street elevation: five storeys, three bays plus two storied single bay office to the left."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Beers (HES), 09 March 2020.

Possible site of St Olave's Chapel - see site NHER 578

See file for documentary research (S2).
See Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey on fiche.

November 1997. Building Survey.
Structural survey of surviving mill buildings.
See report (S3) for details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S4).
A. Cattermole (HES), 10 June 2011.

Newspaper cutting (S5 also in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 25 October 2007.

November 2008.
Planning application received regarding proposed removal of a badly decayed internal timber spiral staircase between the thirs and fourth floors and replacement with a new 'kite winder' escape staircase
see (S6) and (S7)
H. White (NLA), 20 March 2009

Monument Types

  • FLOUR MILL (19th Century - 1836 AD to 1871 AD)
  • SPINNING MILL (19th Century - 1836 AD to 1871 AD)
  • CONFECTIONERY WORKS (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1871 AD to 1931 AD)
  • APARTMENT (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 2000 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 107.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 305.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1217918.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Kelly, G.. 1981. Read Woodrow Limited, King Street, Norwich. The background to the freehold site from 1783 until 1965..
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hutcheson, A. 1998. Report on an Archaeological Evaluation and Structural Survey at Read's Flour Mill, 238-249 King Street, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 311.
<S4>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 193-210. p 203.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Upmarket idea for flour mills. 18 February.
<S6>Designation: Listed Building Consent.
<S7>Unpublished Document: P J Livsey Country Homes (Eastern) LTD. 2008. Design and Access Statement, Albion Mill, King Street, Norwich.

Related records

MNO9635Related to: City Flour Mills King Street NORWICH (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service