Record Details

NHER Number:26039
Type of record:Monument
Name:Precinct Wall, The Close


The precinct wall to Cathedral Close dates back to the 13th century, though there has been much 18th and 19th century rebuilding. It is generally of brick, flint and rubble, with tiled coping, and survives in sections around the precinct (NHER 377).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23650 08885
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Precinct wall to Cathedral Close.
13th century and later with much 18th and 19th century rebuilding. Brick, flint and rubble with tiled coping.
See (S1) for details of extant portions.

In 1891 Walter Rye complained that the precinct wall in Bishopgate had been demolished in order to build 'vulgar cottages'.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • PRECINCT WALL (12th Century to 21st Century - 1200 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • PRIORY (12th Century to 21st Century - 1200 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 224-225.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051331.

Related records

Mon 1459Parent of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)
Mon 230Parent of: Precinct Wall, The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service