|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval or post medieval wells|
Two vertical shafts were discovered when the Mayton gravel pits were extended. These may be wells. They may be related to a medieval market that was held at this site (see NHER 51130).
Images - none
April 1990. Field Observation.
Revealed in digging extension to Mayton Pits.
Three features had been uncovered. The first was a circular construction of flint, heavily mortared inside and out. The structure was 1.23m in diameter, and the wall was 0.28m thick. The second feature, approximately 300m to the north-east, was the site of a very similar shaft, the total depth of which was in excess of 12m. This structure was 1.08m in diameter, with a 0.30m wall. A third feature was located approximately 100m south-east of the second. It consisted of a ring of green material, closely resembling greensand. Both the inner and outer sides were lined with a black material resembling wet charcoal. The feature was 1.60m in diameter.
The first two features seem likely to be wells, especially given that one penetrates into the chalk. Their position on top of the hill not far from the river is slightly unusual, and nothing is marked in this location on the 1906 map. No dating evidence was recovered, but these are thought to be medieval or post medieval. The third feature is more difficult to interpret, particularly as there is no greensand nearby, suggesting this material must have been imported from west Norfolk.
See report (S1) for further details. These discoveries are also noted in (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 9 April 1990.
It was later suggested that the green material may in fact be clunch impregnated with acids from cess.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 July 1991.
This was a medieval market/fairstead (NHER 51130), thus suggesting an origin for the wells.
See (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 July 1991.
- WELL? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: 1882. 1882 Map. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. 1990. FFX 9 and 10. Shafts in Mayton gravel pit.. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Report on excavation of gravel pit at Mayton Wood. 7 April. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Millican, P.. 1937. History of Horstead and Stanninghall.. pp 3, 60. pp 14-15. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Campbell, B. M. S. 1981. The Extent and Layout of Commonfields in Eastern Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt I pp 5-32. p 9. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1991. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1990. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt II pp 240-246. p 242. |
Related records - none
Find out more...