|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Late Saxon and medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
This is the site of a Late Saxon settlement, which was first occupied in the 11th century. The first documentary evidence for a settlement on this site dates from the late 14th century. Field walking and metal detecting recovered prehistoric flints, a Roman mount, pottery dating from the Roman to the post medieval periods, medieval roof tiles, and post medieval clay pipes.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 90 11|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1989. Gridded field walking finds. AJGR L99.
Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval sherds and other finds.
Contexts 1 to 2.
A. Rogerson (NAU) September 1989.
November/December 1998. Metal detecting.
Medieval sherd, Roman mount.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NAU) 12 Febraury 1999.
This site is recorded as LS18 and MED75 in (S2). The first documentary evidence for a settlement on this site dates to the late 14th century.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 20 December 2005
- SETTLEMENT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L99. AJGR. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...