|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
This was the site of a small settlement during the medieval period, which is mentioned in documents dating to the 15th century. Pottery was being produced on the site during the medieval period. Field walking recovered prehistoric flints, pottery dating from the Iron Age to the post medieval periods, medieval roof tile and otherpost medieval finds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9019 1138|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1989. Gridded field walking finds.
Iron Age, medieval and post medieval sherds and other finds.
A. Rogerson (NAU) September 1989.
This site is recorded as MED82, MED83 and MED84 in (S2). The settlement is recorded in medieval documents dating back to the 15th century.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 20 December 2005
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- POTTERY WORKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- QUERN (Undated)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GUNFLINT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L1. AJGR. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...