Record Details

NHER Number:24940
Type of record:Monument
Name:Royal Observer Corps site


This Royal Observer Corps underground monitoring site would have been used during the Cold War to monitor nuclear fallout. They also included very cramped living space. No buildings remain on the surface and the access shaft is damaged.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 4336 9320
Map Sheet:TM49SW

Full description

Royal Observer Corps post.
Information from new edition of 1:2500 map.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 November 1988.

In fact set up in June 1959 closed October 1968. Surface features intact except Bomb Power Indicator pipe. Soil around underground room largely removed, air shaft demolished. Graffiti, rubbish and one bed inside.
Inf from reference (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) July 2000.

Monument Types

  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1959 AD to 1968 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in Serial: Catford, N.. 1999. ROC Underground Posts in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. pp 59ff.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service