|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Roman settlement and multi-period finds|
This was the site of a settlement during the Roman period. The settlement site continues under NHER 24766 and NHER 24767. Field walking recovered prehistoric flints, pottery dating from the Iron Age to the post medieval periods, and post medieval clay pipes.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9110 1204|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1988. Gridded field walking Fransham survey. AJGR L106. Contexts 1 to 12.
Iron Age, Roman, medieval and post medieval sherds.
Thetford ware sherds.
A. Rogerson (NAU) August 1988
1 April 1994. Field walking finds.
Context 13, including Context 1. Re-examined rapidly.
Roman, medieval and post medieval sherds.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 25 January 1995.
This is recorded as RB9 in (S2), as well as sites NHER 24766 and NHER 24767.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 19 December 2005
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L106. AJGR. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...