Record Details

NHER Number:24749
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval icehouse at Old Hall


Parts of a post medieval icehouse were revealed by gardening. These include the brick base of a dome, dug out of the steep hillside. The icehouse probably dates to the remodelling of the hall in 1800 by Soane. It was demolished sometime in the 20th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2077 0457
Map Sheet:TG20SW

Full description

Apparent icehouse revealed by gardening at southeast corner of stable block across road from Old Hall. Three courses of red brick in semi-circle, forming base of dome, dug out of steep hillside. Bottom course continues, cemented over to form step to complete a semi-circle. To west behind stable block in courtyard a wall with blocked doorway about 2m high appears to be entrance to passage to chamber. It is the north side of the chamber that is exposed. Stated to have been remembered by a local man as a complete icehouse earlier this century. Apparently since demolished. Steps made up hillside across site of dome. Base of chamber may remain in ground. Probably dates from 1800 remodelling of Old Hall allegedly by Soane. Source of ice probably ornamental ponds to north in hall gardens.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 August 1988.

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records

9761Parent of: Keswick Old Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service