|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Bronze Age ring ditches and multi-period pottery|
This is the site of three ring ditches, probably dating from the Bronze Age, visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs. Prehistoric flints and fragments of pottery dating from the late prehistoric to the post medieval periods have been found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 710 049|
|Parish:||BARTON BENDISH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1 July 1976. OS air photography.
Context 7 at TF 7093 0493.
Context 8 at TF 7092 0486.
Context 9 at TF 7093 0481.
Positive cropmarks of three ring ditches.
D. Voisey (NAU) 3 February 1995.
26 February 1987. Site BB 619 to 623, contexts 2 to 6.
Fieldwalking, good conditions, ploughed.
Iron Age sherds;
Thetford type ware;
Medieval sherds including Grimston;
Post medieval sherds.
See list and plot in file.
Identified A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 20 August 1987.
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 619. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 620. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 621. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 622. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 623. BB. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-452. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-453. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...