|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints and medieval pottery|
A prehistoric flint flake, a flint core dating to the Mesolithic or Early Neolithic period, and fragments of medieval pottery, found during field walking. Several concentrations of prehistoric pot boilers have also been noted.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8924 1182|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
26 March 1987. Old Ordnance Survey field L21. Field walking good conditions, ploughed.
1 worked flint.
Found and identified by A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 6 August 1987.
1993. Fieldwalking. Context 10.
Casual find of two flints and a pottery sherd of indeterminate date at TF 8926 1181. The flints were subsequently examined by P. Robins (NCM) and identified as a Mesolithic or Early Neolithic single platform blade core and an undateable unmodified flake.
A. Rogerson (NLA) November 1993. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 20 June 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- QUERN (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE CORE (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L21. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
Related records - none
Find out more...