|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Neolithic or Bronze Age site, site of Roman settlement and multi-period finds|
A fragment of Beaker pottery found during field walking suggests that this site was occupied during the Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age, although the nature of that occupation is uncertain. This was also the site of a settlement during the Roman period, which continues under NHER 24763 and NHER 23082. Field walking and metal detecting recovered prehistoric flints, pottery dating from the Iron Age to the post medieval periods, Roman tiles, Roman coins, medieval roof tile and a medieval or post medieval token.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 89 12|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
March 1987. Old Ordnance Survey L63. Fieldwalking, ploughed, good but sunny.
Roman sherds including mortaria, amphorae, calcite gritted, oxidised wares; Roman brick and tegulae.
Medieval sherds and roof tile.
Iron Age sherd
Post medieval sherds
Lava fragments; worked flints; Beaker comb impressed sherd.
Found and identified by A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 5 August 1987
September to October 1999. Metal detecting. Field work No: L63.
9 Roman coins. See list in file.
Lead disc (diameter 30mm) with a rouletted or stamped band of Xs across one face. Possibly a token, medieval or early post medieval.
Identified by H. Geake (NCM)
A. Rogerson (NLA) 4 January 2000.
This site, as well as NHER 23082 and NHER 24763, is recorded as RB7 in (S2). The Iron Age sherds found on the site suggest a pre-Roman origin for the settlement.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 19 December 2005
- OCCUPATION SITE (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L63. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...