|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting recovered a scatter of Roman coins and multi-period metal work. Finds included a Roman Colchester derivative brooch, an Iron Age potin coin from the North Thames area and a 14th century English jetton. Later fieldwalking recovered Roman, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon and medieval pottery fragments and worked flints.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||GOODERSTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
June 1986. Metal detecting.
Scatter of coins and brooch.
1. Antoninianus of Victorinus rev. illegible AD 268 to 270.
2. Irregular Constantinopolis Victory on prow AD 340 to 346.
3. Constantine II GLORIA EXERCITVS two standards Trier mint AD 330 to 335.
4. Colchester derivative with ribbed bow; spot of solder behind side wing to secure spring. See (S2).
5. Potin coin 1st century BC Kent/North Thames group. See (S2).
6. English jetton 14th century, Edward II 1307 to 1327. Obverse; short cross moline. Reverse: rose within tressure. See (S2) and (S3). Identified by S. Margeson (NCM)
Other finds identified by A. Gregory (NAU).
A. Rogerson (NLA).
Found at same time as above but unlocated within site:
7. Bronze gilt and stamped buckle, part of 13th century.
8. Bronze buckle with decorated resting bar 13th century.
9 to 10. Two fragments of bronze belt studs, each with rivets, medieval.
Details as above.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 21 July1986.
1986 to 1987. Fieldwalking.
Late Saxon, Middle Saxon, Roman and medieval sherds, flint.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 June 1987.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|<S2>||Photograph: CZU 1-11. |
|<S3>||Publication: Berry, G.. 1974. Medieval English Jetons.. Type 7. Pg 14, No. 4.. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: de Bootman, M.. 1986 to 1987. Gooderstone Survey Field 22731 Record. Parcel No 92(a).. |
Related records - none
Find out more...