|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Early Saxon settlement and multi-period pottery|
This is the site of an Early Saxon settlement. Prehistoric flints and fragments of pottery dating from the Neolithic to the post medieval periods have been found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7359 0616|
|Parish:||BARTON BENDISH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
16 December 1985. Fieldwalking, good conditions.
Early Saxon wares.
Middle Saxon Ipswich ware.
Roman, medieval and post medieval sherds.
Neolithic/Bronze Age sherd, Iron Age and Thetford wares.
In 6 contexts.
A. Rogerson (NAU) December 1985.
- SETTLEMENT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 272. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 273. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 274. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 275. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 276. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. 277. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...