Record Details

NHER Number:2171
Type of record:Monument
Name:Clipstone deserted settlement


Clipstone village was recorded in the Domesday Book and mentioned as Clifton in a document of 1316. By 1334 it had been amalgamated with Kettlestone. The location of the village is unknown.

Images - none



Full description

Clipstone deserted village.
Clipstone was a Domesday vill combined with Kettlestone by 1334. Site unidentified.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Note Clipstone House.
See (S1).

Clipstone also mentioned in (S2). Referred to as 'Clifton'.
Information from (S3).
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 6 June 1990.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fulmodeston.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum.
<S3>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 SE 2.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service