|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||25 South Quay|
A 17th-century house, dated 1644, which was remodelled in the late 18th century. Some of the rooms have 17th-century wood panelling. A contemporary drain or well was found to the rear of the house in 2001. This was the home of Benjamin England, who was Mayor of Great Yarmouth in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
|Grid Reference:||TG 5242 0718|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
June 1953 Listed Grade II.
17th century red brick house, altered in 18th and 19th century but many original features. First storey facade has old diaper brickwork; ground floor stuccoed. Home of Benjamin England (bailiff and mayor at various dates 1676 to 1711). 3 storeys, 4 bays with 19th century windows. Tuscan doorcase. Raised brick band at 1st storey. Slate roof with modillion eaves cornice. Rear of red brick with 17th century brick pediments, 2 to each storey; on 1st storey these have ornamental wall ties, and between them is stone panel inscribed '1644 EGS' with town arms. North and south gables rebuilt but lower part north wall of original brick and flint with 17th century moulded door frame dated 1644. North gable has old reset wall ties from building. Double pitched roof, pantiles to rear.
Borough council note there is a basement.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 July 1985.
18 July 1984. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Description above confirmed, except that rear of building not accessible. Basement examined. Red brick walled and floored rectangular room, under front pile of building (apparently), seems 17th century. Divided into two east to west rooms by wall of 18th- or 19th-century brick. North section has group of 18th-/19th-century winebins south section has older type of winebin, and in east and west walls two structures (one in each) resembling fireplaces with wooden arched bressumers, but eastern has been filled in with later? brick barrel vault, and western has only narrow slit for a chimney, which would be beneath street façade, is this therefore a blocked hatchway? Whole cellar crossed by plain chamfered beams (4? in all)
rotten, and to be replaced by RSJ's.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU) 22 July 1985. Information from (S2).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 11 March 2022.
There are instance of fireplaces in basements in Great Yarmouth being used to smoke herrings.
Upgraded to II* 1997. See (S1) for more details of 18th-century alterations, 17th/18th century panelling etc.
E. Rose (NLA) 18 February 1997.
Description revised again for 1998 listing, see (S1).
This time it adds five upper crucks in roof and that all the first floor beams are double roll moulded.
If this term is being used in its usual sense, then this is a remarkably late occurence of the style.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 March 1999.
August 2000. Source  reports finding to rear of house a well, 45cm wide, from which led a 'tunnel' 91cm square, 2.4m to 3m long, filled with 50cm of water and 61cm high above water line.
The depth of the water in the well was not measured. The tunnel led in the direction of the house. Contemporary drain?
E. Rose (NLA) 13 September 2000.
Excerpt of current Listing Description:
"Marked 'Surgery' on OS map. House dated 1644, partly remodelled late 18th century (probably 1772), converted to offices 20th centruy. Red brick with decorative burnt headers. Slate to front roof, pantiled to rear roof, slate in valley between. Two parallel ranges.
EXTERIOR: façade of three storeys in four irregular bays. Five-window range in all. Rendered and colourwashed ground floor with a six-panelled door set left of centre. Doorcase has a pair of engaged fluted columns supporting block entablatures, between which is a reeded frieze...Modillion eaves cornice below a gabled roof. Internal gable-end stacks to north and south. Rebuilt south gable head...Rear block is a separate parallel range in two storeys and dormer attic. Originally the elevation had a central door with a wide mullioned window right and left to each floor...Panelled door under a 20th-century gabled porch hood. Above is a date plaque with coat of arms and date 1644 with initials G and S surmounted by an E. Ovolo-moulded eaves cornice. Gabled roof with a sloping 20th-century dormer and internal gable-end stacks right and left. To left is a lead water hopper and down-pipe with the date 1772 and initials A A under a T. North return with a mid 20th-century extension in which has been re-set an original entrance: 20th-century replica door; 17th-century surround... Above is the date 1644 in a strapwork field.
INTERIOR: first and second floors contiguous with No.26 to south [NHER 42962]. Late 18th-century stick-baluster staircase...Ground floor: front and rear rooms with bridging beams bearing double ovolo mouldings. One in each of the two rear rooms have fluted stops. Remains of mid-17th-century small-frame panelling to ground floor. First floor: rear south room with complete mid-17th-century small-framed panelling except for large-framed panelling added late 18th-century to overmantel. All three rear rooms with bridging beams with double roll mouldings. Front room altered 20th century. Roof of front range of principals, two tiers of taper-tenoned butt purlins, and arched windbraces to west side. Rear roof of five bays of upper crucks, surviving only to east side. Door into this roof is mid 17th century..."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 11 March 2022.
- DRAIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1644 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 514. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1245803. |
|<S2>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|MNO3989||Related to: 25 South Quay GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)|
Find out more...