|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Mary's and All Saints' Church, Little Walsingham|
Tower of around 1320. Main body of church of several phases in late 15th and early 16th century. Heavily restored in 1861. Gutted by fire in 1961 and internally reconstructed afterwards. Church contains an important 15th century font, a cross base and fragments of memorials that survived the fire. Medieval pottery found in churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9352 3649|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
West tower of circa 1320, otherwise late 15th-16th century, but heavily restored in 1861 and interior rebuilt after fire in 1961. The 15th century font, and some important memorials, escaped the fire but many other items were destroyed. A Norman stoup is kept loose in the church as is a cross base.
(S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 1980 and 22 August 2006.
A churchyard cross was mentioned in Tom Martin's notes dated 1719. In Cozens-Hardy article (S3) he states he was 'unable to discover it'.
This reference has been noted on (S4).
H. Mellor (HES), 12 May 2016.
Before 9 November 2005. Casual find while grave digging.
Medieval pottery sherds.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 14 December 2005.
Medieval sherds and tile from churchyard.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 August 2006.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: [Unknown]. [unknown]. Palimpsests Behind 'Norfolk' Brasses (N). |
|---||Article in Serial: Warne, J. L. 1864. Little Walsingham Church. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 257-271. |
|---||Article in Serial: Rye, W. 1872. Norfolk Church Goods, Temp. Edward VI. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VII pp 20-44. pp 38-42. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Article on the release of a new guide with a photograph of St Mary's and All Saints' Church, Walsingham after the 1961 fire]. 9 December. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1898. Hundred of North Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol II. pp 87-99. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 590-595. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985-1988. [Articles on the bells at St Mary's and All Saints' Church, Little Walsingham]. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Timed to perfection. 26 July. |
|---||Photograph: Graffiti on the lead roof of the porch of the Church St Mary and All Saints. |
|---||Illustration: Postcard. Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints, Walsingham, Norfolk. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Patten, A. H.. A Short Guide to St Mary's Church Little Walsingham. Second Edition.. |
|---||Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. p 53. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 328. |
|<S4>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 NW 26; TF 93 NW 45. |
Related records - none
Find out more...