|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Late Saxon and medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
This is the site of a Late Saxon settlement, which continued to develop during the medieval period. Prehistoric flints, a Neolithic flint axe, pottery dating from the Roman to the post medieval periods, and a medieval metal plaque have been found during field walking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8925 1365|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1978 and 1981. Ordnance Survey field Great Fransham 167.
Field walking under varying conditions. Not all field yet examined.
Medieval sherds including Grimston; medieval metal plaque; post medieval pottery including glazed red earthenware. Possible Roman rim.
Thetford type ware.
Found and identified by A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 5 September 1984
2 December 1990 and 27 January 1991. Field walking finds.
Area of field not previously examined, contexts 24 to 30.
Context 31, findspot of flint axe.
A. Rogerson (NAU) March 1992
This site is recorded in (S2) and LS5 and Med 15A. No documentary evidence for the medieval settlement has been found.
S. Spooner (NLA) 15 December 2005
- SETTLEMENT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PLAQUE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G167. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
Related records - none
Find out more...