Record Details

NHER Number:20574
Type of record:Building
Name:Post Office House and Chapel Corner


Post Office House was a 16th century two storey timber framed house that was partly burnt down around 1860. It was repaired and extended with brick. This lower extension, called Chapel Corner, is now a separate property.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2797 8841
Map Sheet:TM28NE

Full description

June 1981. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
17th century timber-frame house, roughcast. Steep pantile roof with gabled ends. Internal brick stack at north end. Two storeys and attic (attic window in end gable). Two window range. 19th century sashes with vertical glazing bars only. Glazed door off centre. Late 19th century single-storey shop premises adjoining south.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 7 September 2006.

16th century two storeyed timber framed house with screens passage plan part burnt down about 1860 and replaced with brick building (Chapel Corner).
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 17 August 1984.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • SHOP (19th Century to 21st Century - 1850 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305023.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service