|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Roman settlement, medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
This is the site of a Roman settlement, and fragments of Roman pottery and tiles were recovered during a field walking survey. This was also the site of a settlement in the medieval period. Iron slag of unknown date and a kiln bar of unknown date found during field walking suggest that this was an iron working site and the site of a pottery kiln. Field walking has also recovered prehistoric flints, parts of a medieval quern and fragments of medieval and post medieval pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 88 12|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|LITTLE DUNHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
November 1983. Ordnance Survey field Great Fransham 58, and portion of Little Dunham 19, as parish boundary was further west in 1807. Detailed fieldwork.
Spread of slag; much medieval and post medieval sherds including Grimston and glazed red earthenware.
Some Roman greyware sherds and one tile.
Worked flints and lava fragments.
One kiln bar undated.
Information from A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU), 9 July 1984.
This site is recorded as RB6 and Med 3 in (S2).
No documentary evidence about the medieval settlement has been found.
S. Spooner (NLA), 15 December 2005.
August- September 2009. Metal detecting.
1 medieval silver coin.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 15 October 2009.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Unknown date)
- POTTERY KILN (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KILN FURNITURE (Unknown date)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G58. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...