|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of windmill, bakery and orchard west of Mill Road|
This is the site of a brick tower mill with two pairs of millstones, a dwelling house, orchard and cottage. Steam auxiliary power was added to the windmill after 1896. The mill stopped producing flour around 1905 and was demolished in 1924. The bakery continued producing bread until 1920 and the building survived as a piggery until at least 1975.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4835 1759|
|Parish:||HEMSBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of windmill, west of Mill Road, North of Millhill Coverts.
Brick tower mill with two pairs of stones; dwelling house, orchard and cottage. Steam auxiliary power added after 1896. Marked on (S1). Ceased milling around 1905, used as bakery to 1920. Mill demolished 1924, bakery survived as piggery until at least 1975.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 July 1984.
- BAKERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIGGERY (Early 20th Century to Unknown - 1920 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 188. |
Related records - none
Find out more...