|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of probable Early Saxon settlement, a medieval settlement and multi-period pottery|
A number of Early Saxon pottery fragments during field walking suggest that this site is probably a small Early Saxon settlement. This was also the site of a common edge settlement during the medieval period, which continues into site NHER 20818. Fragments of pottery dating from the Roman to the post medieval period have also been found during field walking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8882 1238|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
November 1980 and July 1981. Former field Great Fransham 36 (now northwest part of large field east of Curds Hall site).
Intensive field walking; eastern finds in sugar beet, western in molehills in pasture.
Medieval unglazed sherds; clay pipe.
Found and identified by A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 5 June 1984.
1985. Field walking finds.
Further finds of much medieval ware, Roman sherds including amphora and Samian.
Grimston Thetford ware.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 August 1985.
25 September 1992. Field walking finds.
Context S5. Area formerly grass, cultivated for pheasant cover.
Large number of medieval/Post medieval sherds for small area of surface visible.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 14 October 1992.
This site is recorded as Med 9 in (S2). The site may have been one of three messuages of Kirkhams Manor in the late 14th century.
See (S2) and NHER 20818 for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 15 December 2005
- SETTLEMENT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Unknown date)
- QUERN (Unknown date)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G36. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Map: Hanging Plan. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|<S2>||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
Related records - none
Find out more...