|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Iron Age settlement, post medieval house and multi-period finds|
This is the site of an Iron Age settlement, and fragments of Iron Age pottery have been collected during field walking. This is also the site of a small post medieval house, and a post medieval brick kiln. An intensive field walking survey recovered fragments of medieval pottery, and post medieval bricks and roof tile.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8853 1241|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
November 1983. Field west of site of Curds Hall, and avenue to west, former OS Great Fransham 30 and including site of small cottage 31.
Intensive field walking in good conditions with burnt stubble on arable, but parts of area still pasture.
About 110 sherds sandy and flint gritted Iron Age, worked flints, lump of shelly limestone, medieval sherds.
At 8860 1236 (S1) shows evidence of post medieval brick kiln (for building Curds Hall?)
No finds except 18th to 20th century on site of cottage.
Found and identified by A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 5 June 1984.
- SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HEARTH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Unknown date)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G30. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. G31. AJGR. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Hanging Plan. |
|<S2>||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
Related records - none
Find out more...