Record Details

NHER Number:19773
Type of record:Building
Name:Philippo's Farm


The 17th century farmhouse was refaced in brick in the 19th century. The south front has two storeys and three bays. A nearby barn dated 1818 has an unusual inscription on the stone finials in the gables memorialising the imprisonment of the estate owner for eating his own pheasants out of season.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9943 3182
Map Sheet:TF93SE

Full description

Phillipo's Farm.
House 17th century, refaced 19th century. Brick. South front 19th century, two storeys, three bays. Rear wall has two mullioned windows in stone and on upper floor a four light wood mullioned window. Stopped beams on first floor. Barn is dated 1818 with 'JEP' (Philippo). Flint and brick, roof replaced. Gables with stone finials and inscriptions: on south, GAME
LAW THEOLOGY; on upright, BIGOTRY; on plinth, WHO CAN BELIEVE IT BLEST WITH COMMON SENSE THAT TAKING GAME IN LENT GAVE GOD OFFENCE/ OR THAT UNTASTED PHEASANTS HAVE THE CHARM/H'ALMIGHTY'S FIERCE DISPLEASURE TO DISARM/ IN MAJESTY ENTHRONED SUPREME DIVINE/ DOES HE REGARD ON WHAT WE CHANCE TO DINE 1847; on north, GAME LAW JUSTICE/ TYRRANY and 'This memorial is erected to transmit to prosperity/ the fact that in the middle of the 19th century/ the owner of this estate was committed for 14 days/ imprisonment in a Felon's jail by two/ clerical/ Justices for having taken and eaten his own game/ out of season as decreed by English statute law.'
Information from (S1) 1983.
Inscription corrected by E. Rose (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1983.

Are the mullioned windows in stone rendering to look like stone ?
E. Rose (NAU).

Feedback from Norfolk Heritage Explorer website from [1].
The family's name was originally spelled Phillippo.
The event in 1847 commemorated on the barn relates to William Skinner Phillippo, and occurred shortly after he lost both of his parents
The barn is dated at one end with 1818 as stated, but the initials are ‘REP’ not ‘JEP’.
See (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 April 2008.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 377.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049248 and 1152859.
<S2>Correspondence: Kay, D.. 2008. Email feedback from Norfolk Heritage Explorer..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service