|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval stone fragments from northwest of deserted medieval village adjacent to railway line|
A large 13th or 14th century column base was ploughed up from a field and dumped in this spot with other fragments. The pieces of stone have now been moved to the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8245 8753|
|Parish:||LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of church with 'massive walls' at TL 8245 8753 suggested by , but this is unlikely.
See notes and file.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 October 1983.
8 November 1983. Site visited.
Large medieval column base 13th/14th century ploughed up from field and dumped in this spot with other fragments. Probably import from elsewhere.
See discussion in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 November 1983.
30 September 1993. Visit.
Stones still in same place, but Forestry Commission may try to have them moved to the church.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 October 1993.
Indeed stone removed to churchyard.
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CLU 22-23- N. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
Related records - none
Find out more...