Record Details

NHER Number:19476
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval house and barn belonging to Flordon Hall

Summary

The house here was built in around 1600, possibly as a dower house. It is built of brick, has two storeys and is now used as a piggery. The associated timber framed barn was built during the 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1862 9793
Map Sheet:TM19NE
Parish:FLORDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Outbuildings south of Flordon Hall.
Piggery is possible former dower house of about 1600. Brick, two storeys and attic, chamfered offset, blocked windows with hoodmoulds, solid baulk stair remains from first floor to attic. Principal beams intact.
Barn 17th century. Timber framed. 16 collar trussed bays, alternating arched braces. Two original west doors, much repaired.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 28 September 1983.

Photographs (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) DOWER HOUSE? (16th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1900 AD?)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BARN (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • PIGGERY (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM1897-F-G.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 339.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1172231 and 1373055.
<S2>Photograph: Unknown. Photographs 1 to 3.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service