Record Details

NHER Number:19463
Type of record:Building
Name:Tudor House, 1 Alburgh Street


Early 17th century timber frame house with some later additions. Survey of the house in 2003 revealed many engraved carpenters marks in Latin numerals and some engraved and painted red and blue marks made to ward off evil on the inside of the timber frame.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2662 8721
Map Sheet:TM28NE

Full description

1983. Survey.
House of second half of the 16th century, much altered about 1900. See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 September 1983.

December 2003. Survey.
Further examination indicated that the date of the building is more likely to be the beginning of the 17th century. It is a timber framed house with off-centre stack, but apparently on the cross-passage plan, of two storeys and attic. Some apotropaic marks remain. Evidence of other alterations before 1900. See further report in file. Letter in file (S2). Photos of apotropaic marks on CD on digital storage shelf (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 20 December 2003.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 177.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>*Digital Archive: Dean, J.. 2004. Letter and digital photographs. 12 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service