Record Details

NHER Number:19401
Type of record:Building
Name:1 Leists Farm Cottages and Timber Cottage


These houses began life as a hall house built around 1500. The floor and stack were inserted into the building in the 17th century. The building was extended to the east in the 18th century, and much altered in the 20th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1998 8281
Map Sheet:TM18SE

Full description

Hall house about 1500 with inserted floor and stack about 1600, much altered and restored.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 5 August 1983.

June 2005.
Further examination of eastern end of building (known as Timber Cottage) tends to confirm origin as a hall house with inserted stack and floor of early 17th century. Building extended to east in 18th century, and much altered in 20th century.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 June 2005.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1983. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service