Record Details

NHER Number:18827
Type of record:Monument
Name:Shrubhill Tramway


This post medieval tramway was in use by 1867 and closed in the 1880s. It ran south from the brickworks at Shrubhill Farm to join the main line across the Little Ouse in Suffolk. The line served the brickworks and several osier plantations. The causeway can still be seen at Shrubhill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 667 860
Map Sheet:TL68NE

Full description

Shrubhill Tramway.
Standard Gauge Great Eastern Railway line to serve brickworks at 660 880. Ran south as marked on (S1) ('old tramway') to join main line across Little Ouse in Suffolk. Served brickworks and osier plantations. In use from before 1872 but 'disused' on (S2).

Causeway remains at Shrub Hill.
E. Rose (NAU) 9 February 1983.

Tenders invited for line in 1864. Brickworks not dug until after line complete. In use by 1867. Closed in 1880s owing to agricultural depression.
See (S3) and (S4).
E. Rose (NAU), 16 July 1985.

1996/1997. Within reservoir investigation area.
For palaeoenvironmental appraisal see (S5) in file for NHER 5292.
D. Gurney (NLA) 23 May 1997.

Monument Types

  • TRAMWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560.
<S3>Monograph: Darsley, R.. 1984. The Wissington Railway: a Fenland enterprise.. 10.
<S4>Drawing: Unknown. Sketch plan of finds site. Film.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Murphy, P. (UEA). 1997. Fenland Reservoir: appraisal of palaeoenvironmental implications. 19 May.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service