Record Details

NHER Number:18325
Type of record:Building
Name:Baron's Hall, Norwich Road

Summary

The present Baron's Hall is a five bay two storey red brick house built in 1812 on the site of an earlier building. It has been converted into flats. Old Baron's Hall is shown in a 1795 print to have been an E shaped building with a two storey main block and porch and three storey wings. It was built in 1593 and partly demolished in 1812. The barn at Baronshall Farm was also built in 1593. The central part of the barn has now been converted into housing.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9254 2962
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of Baron's Hall.
Old Baron's Hall shown on print of 1795 (S1) as E shaped, two storey main block and porch, three storey wings. Windows in wing gable walls all pedimented, also window and entrance in porch. Facade has one pedimented window below two rectangular windows each side of porch, irregularly spaced. Pairs of angled chimneys each side of wing gables. This is stated in text to have been partly demolished in 1812, having been built in 1593. The present Baron's Hall is of 1812, unremarkable five bay two storey red brick. The east wing of the old hall lasted longer but has now also gone. The barn at Baronshall Farm is stated by (S1) be of 1593 also. One end of this is ruinous, the central part rebuilt as housing with no dating evidence except a heightening of 18th century brick above the flint walls, which continues over the remaining original east end. This is disused and retains some brick quoins and slits in brickwork that could conceivably be 16th century. A cart door inserted at the time of the heightening has been lowered again in similar brickwork to 1812 hall. Site of the old hall problematical but from the print may have been beyond the ruined west end of the barn where housing estate now stands. Present hall now flats. Name said to come from plot of ground called 'Barun'.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 August 1982.

For comments on former gardens see (S2).

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 6603J,N.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Baldwin, J.. 1982. Fakenham: Town on the Wensum. 8.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service