|Type of record:||Building|
14th century timbers are reported in the roof but survey suggest the oldest timbers may be as late as 17th century. The present building is one storey and attics with a later rear wing. The building used to be a public house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9185 2974|
|Parish:||FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Oak House, former public house.
'Renovation work revealed some 14th century timber work in the roof'.
August 1982. Visit.
The present building is one storey and attics aligned along street with later rear wing. No dating evidence on the exterior, but interior faces of gable walls in roof space are of flint and brick. 18th century? All roof timbers are of recent or 19th century date. Present tenant indicated as the 'medieval work' one beam in attics which may be one side of a half cruck, which occur as late as the 17th century in Norfolk. Compare with Stiffkey (NHER 12738), etc.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 August 1982.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 460. |
|<S1>||Publication: Baldwin, J.. 1982. Fakenham, Town on the Wensum. 3. |
Related records - none
Find out more...