Record Details

NHER Number:18218
Type of record:Building
Name:Staithe House


This late 18th century house has two storeys and seven bays the central three of which project under a pediment with a circular window. The central pedimented door has Ionic pilasters. It has a black pantiled roof. The façade is rendered and the brick gable walls slightly chequered. The adjoining long barn is in similar brickwork and is now a restaurant, The Old Maltings. Behind it is a 19th century flint barn.


  • The Old Maltings, Brancaster.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 7907 4428
Map Sheet:TF74SE

Full description

Staithe House.
Two storeys, seven bays of which the central three project under a pediment with circular window. Central pedimented door with Ionic pilasters. Black pantiled roof. Façade rendered, brick gable walls slightly chequered. Very grand, second half 18th century. An adjoining long barn is in similar brickwork. Behind it is a flint barn, 19th century?, made into a factory with central portion of the roof raised, like an Italian church, by the device of cutting down the gables.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 June 1982.

Second visit revealed one or two blocks of stone in flint barn. Apparently those referred to by St. Joseph (S1) as coming from Brancaster fort via the Great Malthouse. The brick barn was found to have in its rear wall, round headed low openings on each floor blocked in later brickwork, presumably for loading. This barn is now a restaurant, The Old Maltings. House and brick barn appear on (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 21 July 1982.

House has very fine 18th century interiors. According to (S3) which dates building to second quarter of the 18th century rather than second half, and notes 19th century rear additions.

The 'Italian church' barn mentioned above may now have been demolished. A barn to the northwest of the house, not listed, is in fact the one mentioned by Clarke and St Joseph as containing reused stone from the Roman fort (see NHER 1001). Its west gable, invisible except from the Coastal Path because of other buildings, is all composed of the ?Kentish Rag blocks, with brick slit windows. The north wall has a plinth of the same stone, with much ironbound conglomerate, and a top of early post medieval brickwork; above this the wall is of clunch with later brick slits, and now modern windows for conversion to house. East gable wall is of Roman stone reused up to about 2.5m. Appears to be a late 17th/early 18th century barn, heightened or rebuilt in late 19th century (is west gable original, or a double reuse?).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 May 1987.

The 'Kentish rag' is now thought to be Lincolnshire cretacious, see discussion under NHER 1001.

Building damaged by fire during restoration.
See (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 March 2005.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 214.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Workmen escape from house blaze. 17 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service